Editors Note:


EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

All Hail Greg Pell

Greg Pell Schleps"Tell him the one armed man said hello." When I heard Greg Pell tell that to a cohort, I knew I could begin writing about him. Until then, I didn't quite know how to portray the silver-haired lenslinger, the calm, cheerful presence at crime scenes and campaign stops, the pipe-smoking journeyman who just happens to be missing his right forearm. And what business is it of mine, anyway? None, I guess - but I'm dumbstruck by his pluck every time I watch him shoulder his rig and rush headlong into the scrum. Come to think of it, I fell under the spell of Pell the Elder the very first time he be-bopped past my live truck.

Greg Pell Hustles I was ankle deep in cable at the time, bent at the waist and dripping in sweat as a distant show producer threatened to begin couting backwards in my earpiece. I pulled and looped the heavy cord, but every other tug caused the nest of serpents to constrict, until my face was red and my feet were blue. I was mere seconds from freeing myself from the loathsome pile, climbing the teetering tower jutting from my truck and telling the mast-cam mounted on top to go #&$@%! -- when I smelled the sweet smell of pipe tobacco. Following the sweet aroma I spotted Greg for the first time, stooped over, pipe clenched in his teeth, rolling cable off a wheeled cart and humming. Humming!

Greg Pell CloseupIt was only after he passed by that I realized Greg had five less digits than I. The times I ask how he does without them, he only laughs and shrugs. "Oh, it's just a matter of adapting." is about all he'll say. Not that he's hung up on his perceived disability, he's just got alot more interesting stuff to talk about! Like how he ushered in the video age at WBTV, the time he did at my own El Ocho and how smoke's coming out of that crumbling meth lab over there. With those kind of distractions, I find it impossible to properly interview this serendipitous lenser, let alone pity him as he spanks my proverbial ass at every other turn. Now if he would just tell me what's in that pipe...

2 comments:

Matt W said...

Stewart, Just saw the run away truck video on "Most Daring Videos" Tru TV, 9pm. Your even more famous now!

Adam Butler said...

Pell is one in a million. A true, American badass. It take a real man to smoke a pipe and uplink at the same time.