Editors Note:


EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Saturday, April 30, 2005

I Want My Blog TV

Ever since launching this flimsy craft into the blogosphere several months ago, I’ve yearned to televise some of the trip. Why? Well, it’s what I do for a living. Also, I enjoy pointing the big end of my lens at things that interest me. Mostly though, I think its newsworthy. Citizen journalism is changing more than the media, it’s bringing vibrant voices to digital town squares everywhere and extrapolating the global export of information in the process. That’s more than enough reason to feature it on the local news.

But how to make it interesting for the casual viewer? As riveting as I and others find these sites, they’re still just computer screens - not the most exciting things to aim a TV camera at. To get to the core of the local blogosphere I knew I’d have to visit the people behind the pages. No problem. There are enough self-publishing virtuosos in Greensboro alone to warrant a series of special reports. Knowing I’d only be able to skim the surface, I gathered my tools and called for back-up.

Enter Bob Buckley. The veteran reporter agreed to captain this voyage into cyberspace and wrap his thoughts around the material we gathered along the way. So off we went together and separate, rendezvousing with writers and meeting minstrels, all while covering the news of the day. A few weeks and half dozen optical discs later, we had the footage and findings we needed to fashion a Buckley Report on the Piedmont Blogosphere. While I returned to my litany of feature pieces, press conferences and breaking news, Bob banged out a script, a highly-detailed three and a half minute opus we editors not so lovingly describe, as a ’Buckumentary’.

Thus, I find myself ensconced in the edit bay. For all the physical effort that goes into gathering images with a hefty TV news camera, twice as much energy goes into the art of slicing and dicing. Whereas that used to involve the whirl and growl of synchronized tape decks, I now find myself hovering over a non-linear timeline and hurtling editorial thunderbolts from on high - all with the click of a mouse. I love it. Editing has always been one of my favorite parts of The Job; it’s a (mostly) delightful process of folding reality, enhancing images and bending time. So as I search for nuance and cadence in this sea of footage, mark your calendar for Monday night at 10:00 pm, as that’s when the Buckley Report on the Piedmont blogosphere will air on FOX 8 WGHP. If I get in done in time, that is...

16 comments:

Colonel Corn's Camera said...

Stew, put a copy to vhs and send it to me. I can't wait to see this. Maybe I can get someone in the Queen city interested in doing the story.

The Colonel

Billy Jones said...

Will FOX8 post it to their website? It will draw a ton of traffic, I'm sure.

Smitty said...

I've got to see this!

Can I order a copy of the "Buckumentary" on Beta to go?

As if you didn't have enough to do already.. It's only May sweeps.

melinama said...

wish I could see it. hope you make your deadline...

Simple 101 said...

Keep it up. I enjoy commercial refinancing also.

David said...

Hi, I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on self esteem when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need it, there is valuable information on my site about self esteem.

cash at home said...

Hello There, My name is Donald you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a free make money online survey
site. It pretty much covers free make money online survey
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

TrafficMegaDeals said...

~~>Explosive New Credit-Repair<~~
Like Magic get rid of your debt problems
So You can get on with your Life
cash back credit card
Get your Credit Problems Fixed Now!
cash back credit card

TS said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

Steve Austin said...

Tasty blog! Please check out my note wine blog.

harvir said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link to !!Start home based business

Peter said...

~~>Explosive New Credit-Repair<~~
Like Magic get rid of your debt problems
So You can get on with your Life
cash back credit card
Get your Credit Problems Fixed Now!
cash back credit card

WorldTrader said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a online home base business site, Check it out. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Buy said...

Great stuff on nicklaus golf equipment and I even bookmarked you! Of course I do have a similar page about nicklaus golf equipment

wholl resources said...

Looking for lung cancer symptom information I came across this post. I totally agree with you and would feel the same way!

jon

harvey said...

I nice blog I have one too Horse racing tips galorehorse racing ireland