Editors Note:

EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Pioneer in Pink

The CP16, the battery belt, that dour expression ... she's like Janis Joplin with a lens. But who is she really? Why, I think it's Cyndy Green, visual journalist, educator and chief lifeforce behind the site VideoJournalism. These days, Cyndy teaches high school students, but back in the 70's she was a lady lenslinger of the pioneer variety. That's why I believe the photo she attached to an illuminating post on the origins of a certain broadcast term is none other than Cyndy herself. Otherwise, it's some other scrappy temptress who proved electronic newsgathering wasn't just for the fellas - all while I was wearing a groove on my little league bench. Now go check out her blog and while you're there, be sure and bow down to the power that is a heavily-armed she-slinger. I'd join you but, well ... I'm a little too turned-on right now.


Horonto said...

Just looking at the 30 volt battery belt makes my back ache.

You go girl!

She's a great example for women wanting to get into the male dominated area of camerawomen/men.

Angela Grant said...

She-slinger. That's very clever.

cyndy green said...

I've been called broadcast bitch, camerachick, but never ever scrappy temptress - but I sure could get used to it.
Fortunately I was enough of a hippy to keep the belt up, even notched to the tightest setting. As a former high school tuba player, I still had the muscles and shoulder to take on a hefty camera...and the only way I could keep up with the guys in a gang-bang was to kick my way into the front where everyone could see over me.
That photo was taken back in the day when you could do a man's job, but you better look feminine. Yep - that is me and I sure wish I'd kept that body and that hair.