Editors Note:


EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Have Headphones, Will Gorge

Free Range PhotogI have been to hundreds of trade shows. Lint conventions, belt buckle summits, Insurance Agent orgies: as a serial purveyor of soft-core news, I've turned them all into winking, ninety-second tributes - no matter how dry the subject matter. Well, today ... I hit the motherlode: A food show. A FOOD SHOW! I rolled into the Greensboro Coliseum's Special Events Center expecting three vocational school chefs stirring gravy vapor. What I found was a culinary wonderland featuring booth after mouth-watering booth of glossy-eyed vendors, each ladling out endless samples of pallete=pleasing fare. Prime Rib, Jumbo Shrimp, Chocolate Mousse; it's amazing what's thrust your way when you've got a TV camera slung overpne sore shoulder. Hell, I might still be there had the lunkhead in the security jacket not blocked my access to the cocktail weenie wing. I only wish the web gurus at El Ocho has posted the story I shot between all that snacking, as I almost liked the way it turned out. Just remember - if the marquee outside your local convention center starts flashing 'Food Show', hop every curb you gotta and get inside. Sure beats that morning I spent trapped at the Angry Baptist Expo. Those cats are uptight...

6 comments:

amernick said...

Dude...you forgot job fairs. Its not a successful job fair unless I walk out with more than 10 pens. Need to replenish the supply that dwindles every time you go out with a reporter.

Joel Leonard said...

Never done a "pen" quotient on my jobfair but sure that there are lots being tossed out.

Speaking of food, have you tried a Joelburger in a while?

www.thejoelburger.blogspot.com

turdpolisher said...

you gotta rub it in don't 'cha? Yesterday I ate every meal out of a single box. Cheeze-It's.

that's what happens when you're battered about by the outer bands of a pussy storm like humberto.

the suits were ape-shit.

wait for the post later today.

Anonymous said...

I do conferences for a living. We have to give up tape measures, compasses, and stress balls of all shapes.

Most people trick or treat. They don't care what you are selling, they want that $1.25 stuffed animal like it was made of gold.

I have stuffed monster of Monster.com fame that I think was well worth knocking over someone’s display to get.

cadencefilm said...

i just shot my way through a street fair in jeffersontown, just south of louisville. walked away able to balance my sticks on my belly, swollen as it was with two funnel cakes, a fried snicker's bar, two corn dogs, and one mother of a pork chop on a stick.

i'm not a junk food person, but when vendors offer, i think it'd be rude to turn them down. :)

cyndy green said...

ouch - cause I worked in a the boonies (a bureau) I never got those goodies, although every now and then we got a winery story (slurp). my most memorable meal was a twenty-four hour stint on a forest fire with a bag of black licorice.