Editors Note:


EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sat Truck City

So just how many TV crews are at Virginia Tech? Not as many as they're were certainly, but a sat truck city of staggering breadth still clots a fat swath of Blacksburg. One dish truck driver I know says it's the biggest satellite scrum he's seen in his twenty years of transmitting calamity. Local crews from around the nation, accented presenters from across the pond, a Who's Who of network press. It's enough to make your low-laying lenslinger wish maybe he'd poked his head up when the marching orders were being issued. Then again, I've spent the week providing counter-programming for all the producers in my life. Today for example I milked a volunteer luncheon for seventy five seconds of feel-good theater. More of a viewer reprieve than a full-fledged feature, not once does it mention handguns, lockdowns or manifestos. Here's looking forward to a quiet weekend...

3 comments:

DarkStarHarry said...

is there a way I can get a better JPEG copy of the satellite trucks shot?

Lenslinger said...

Not sure. I cadged it off of NewsBlues, but couldn't find a link to a bigger shot. From what my colleagues tell me, the sat truck scrum was spread over two seperate parking lots, making it hard to do justice in a single shot. I'd be anxious to hear how network crews would rank it size-wise. Easily the biggest My guys have seen. As they post photos, I'll share.

joey said...

i see you couldn't escape blacksburg this week, my friend!