Editors Note:


EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Monday, September 26, 2005

On Being Invisible...

Over at Under Exposed, WRAL Chief Photographer Richard Adkins delivers his best post yet with 'Invisible', complete with nifty photo illustration:



'Harry Potter needs a cloak to disappear but I can walk right in front a million people and no one seems to notice me. My invisibility is by design… but also is a double edge sword.'

Go read the whole thing, as it explains how a good photog blends into the background to bag the story only to end up dodging the glory.

I myself love nothing more than lurking on the edges of some big event with my camera, working the crowd with zoom lens and steady tripod. But even if I shoulder the beast and stroll to center stage, the only thing the crowd sees is the brightly-logoed fancycam floating across the stage. It's what I adore about the modern TV news camera. Not only are they magical devices that open any door, but they're great shields to hide behind. While I'm somewhat ill-at-ease during certain social functions, give me my camera and I'll wade into ANY crowd. How else could I explain penetrating a throng of angry protesters at a heated Klan rally, hobknobbing with tuxedo'd politicos at a five hundred dollar dinner, keeping it real with the fellas down on the breadline? Simple, I was...invisible.

1 comment:

Rad said...

Thanks for the nice words... Funny thing we do, hunh. We'll have a drink someday soon I'm sure.

Rad