Editors Note:


EDITOR'S NOTE: Fresh off a three year managerial stint, your friendly neighborhood lenslinger is back on the street and under heavy deadline. As the numbing effects of his self-imposed containment wear off, vexing reflections and pithy epistles are sure to follow...

Monday, May 09, 2005

Searching for Absurdity

As the speaker expounded on the promise of hydroelectricity, I brushed up on my thousand yard stare. Its not that I was uninterested in renewable energy, I just didn’t want to hear about it from behind a podium. I’d much rather illustrate the story I drove an hour for with footage of the roaring dam in the distance. For decades the age-old structure and its adjoining plant had harnessed moving water into electricity for local mills. All that industry eventually dried up, but the Haw River kept flowing. Now NCGreenPower was rejuvenating the old plant, turning an aging riverside relic into a source of clean energy. Not the sexiest story on a Monday morning, but what are you gonna do?

I’ll tell you what you’re gonna do: You’re gonna wait. After popping off the few shots you need of said dog and pony show, you’re gonna stare at the water and not make too much noise as these nice people get their press conference on. It doesn’t matter that none of this footage will ever see the light of day, doesn’t matter that every carefully groomed sentence plucked from their list of talking points will end up on the proverbial cutting room floor. It doesn’t even matter that some schlub showed up to a perfectly good media event wearing flip-flops, thus subjecting all to fleshy flashes of his most unattractive toe knuckles. No, what matters this fine May morning is finding an interesting way to tell the Piedmont about hydroelectricity - without using too many clich├ęs about Mother Nature keeping the lights turned on.

But as the speaker droned on and my eyes glazed over, I realized I had another challenge. What the hell would I blog about tonight? Fancy dams and unfortunate footwear might be fine while the P.A. crackles, but that kind of pedestrian fare just won’t cut it in cyberspace. For proper blog-fodder, I need something unexpected, something out of context, something, shall I say, ludicrous. But looking around the tent full of conservation wonks, I worried about my chances of finding anything to blog about. Maybe I could rifle through my photo archives, I thought as I absent-mindedly tapped the Zoom button, you know - find a few rusty images to hang some shiny new thoughts on. I’d done it before without irking too many of my half dozen readers; perhaps I’ll re-visit the photo-well just one more time. Whatever I came up with would certainly beat anything I’d find out here...

That’s when a diminutive figure took the podium, produced an acoustic guitar and began warbling a lilting ode to the life-giving renewable energy. As he searched for just the right word to rhyme with ‘kilowatt’, I triggered the ’Record’ button on my Sony and fished my digital out of a pocket. Who needs to raid the old photo-stash when you have environmental scientists singing folk songs about fossil fuel alternatives? Hollywood pays legions of latte-swilling screenwriters righteous tender to make up stuff like this. Me - I get it for free. Now, thanks to push-button publishing, so do you...

2 comments:

HockeyPat said...

Was Eric Cartman there to take on those @#$$ Hippies?

NYCGuy12 said...

Very nice blog, hard to come by these days,

If you have a chance, can you visit my how to play guitar site

It has all guitar related stuff.

Thanks